Hope for the Journey Home
Hope for the Journey Home is a ministry of hospitality providing families with a safe, supportive, family-friendly environment as they work toward finding stable housing. Hope for the Journey Home works in partnership with area churches to provide emergency shelter to families while raising awareness in our community around issues of homelessness. It is located on the campus of Guardian Angels Catholic Church.
We rely on volunteers like you. Join us!
Who makes this shelter possible?
- Partnership with the Community Resource Center (CRC) at St. Andrew's Lutheran Church in Mahtomedi.
- Support and volunteers from more than 30 churches in Washington and suburban Ramsey counties.
- Generous financial donations from churches and members of the community.
- Prayers and donated items from churches and community members.
- Community and Foundation grants.
- If your church would like to learn more about being a partner, please reach out to .
What do we provide to families during their stay at HJH?
- Families set specific goals and work with case managers from the CRC to achieve them.
- Private bedroom for their family.
- All meals - breakfasts, bagged lunches, home cooked dinners.
- Shared family spaces and the opportunity to build community with other families.
How You Can Help
Dinners & Overnights
We invite NEW and PAST volunteers to sign up as Dinner Servers and Overnight Hosts (sleeping in a private room). Children are welcome to volunteer with their parents or grandparents. If you are a NEW volunteer to either of these positions, please know that we require a background check and child/vulnerable adult training for anyone 18+. You can reach out to your church office to ask about completing both of these. If you are not affiliated with a church that can assist you, please reach out to us at . All weeks are open to all volunteers.
Volunteers are needed for both dinnertime and overnight shifts. You can sign up using the links below:
View all weeks Volunteer at HJH
- October 16 - 22
- October 23 - 29
- October 30 - November 5
- November 6-12 ttsu.me/hjhnov6
- November 13-19 ttsu.me/hjhnov13
- November 20-26 ttsu.me/hjhnov20
- November 27-December 3 ttsu.me/hjhnov27
- December 4-10 ttsu.me/hjhdec4
- December 11-17 ttsu.me/hjhdec11
- December 18-24 ttsu.me/hjhdec18
- December 25-31 ttsu.me/hjhdec25
Please provide a hot evening meal entrée for our shelter guests that can serve 12-14. Fruit, vegetables and dessert items are optional. The main entrée can be homemade, purchased from a local grocery store, or from a restaurant. Details and instructions regarding drop-off times appear on the sign-up links below.
IHOP Pick-Up and Delivery
Pick up and deliver a hot breakfast for our shelter guests from the IHOP restaurant in Oakdale. Instructions are included on the sign up link. No training required. HJH staff will provide a reminder phone call on Thursday for the upcoming weekend. Details and instructions regarding drop-off times appear on the sign-up link below.
- October-December 2022 IHOP Pickup & Delivery
We have safety measures in place in order to keep both our volunteers and our guests safe during this unusual time. We are so grateful for the support we have received as the house was made ready for this new way of doing things, and for your continued support of HJH. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out. Changes we have implemented include:
- We have continued with all enhanced cleaning efforts we put in place October of 2020.
- A group of volunteers do a deep clean of the house in all common areas monthly. They have enhanced their cleaning efforts as well.
- A plexiglass barrier is at the serving counter in the dining room.
- Families are using the dining room for eating only. Each family is being served the main meal one table at a time and only adults are allowed at the serving counter. Any families still in the dining room at 6:40 will start cleaning up their areas at staff prompting.
- Families continue to wipe down, sweep and clean their own tables and chairs.
- We have 2 overnight rooms for the overnight volunteers. The rooms are aired out and sprayed after each use and the bathroom is wiped down as well.
Make a financial donation anytime - Give Now
Checks can be mailed to:
Hope for the Journey Home
8260 4th Street N.
Oakdale, MN 55128