Hope for the Journey Home
Hope for the Journey Home is a ministry for families who are experiencing homelessness for the first time. HJH is a ministry of Guardian Angels Catholic Church along with St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church in Mahtomedi and more than 30 churches in Washington and suburban Ramsey counties.
Hope for the Journey Home Is Open!
HJH is now sheltering our first guests since mid-March and we are so grateful for the support we have received as the house was made ready for this new way of doing things. Please know that all operations are in strict adherence to state health guidelines regarding COVID-19. We know that our volunteers will need to evaluate whether now is the time to come back to HJH. Follow this link to read more about our Volunteer Policies including changes we have made regarding distancing, sanitation and all other procedures. HJH staff welcome your calls or emails to talk about details.
These are the ways you can help right now.
Meal Donation Sign-Up
Please provide a hot evening meal entrée for our shelter guests that can serve 10-12. Fruit, vegetables and dessert items are optional. The main entrée can be homemade, purchased from a local grocery store or from a restaurant. Details and instructions regarding drop-off times appear on the sign-up links below.
- November https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d4fadac2fa0f5c34-meals17
- December https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d4fadac2fa0f5c34-meals15
- January https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d4fadac2fa0f5c34-meals16
Afternoons & Overnights
We invite NEW and PAST volunteers to sign up as Dinner Servers and Overnight Hosts (sleeping in a private room). If you are a NEW volunteer to either of these positions please reach out to Trish Brokman at to learn about the background check and at home/online training requirements. All weeks are open to all volunteers.
Volunteers are needed for late afternoons and overnights. As usual, you can sign up by following the links below:
- October 17-23 ttsu.me/hjhoct17
- October 24-30 ttsu.me/hjhoct24
- October 31- November 6 ttsu.me/hjhoct31
- November 7-13 ttsu.me/hjhnov7
- November 14-20 ttsu.me/hjhnov14
- November 21-27 ttsu.me/hjhnov21
- November 28- December 4 ttsu.me/hjhnov28
- December 5-11 ttsu.me/hjhdec5
- December 12-18 ttsu.me/hjhdec12
- December 19-25 ttsu.me/hjhdec19
- December 26-31 ttsu.me/hjhdec26
IHOP Pick-Up and Delivery Volunteers
Pick up and deliver a hot breakfast for our shelter guests from the IHop restaurant in Oakdale. Instructions are included on the sign up link. No training required. HJH staff will provide a reminder phone call on Thursday for the upcoming weekend.
- November-December 2021 ttsu.me/ihopnovdec
- January-March 2022 ttsu.me/ihopjanmar
- April-June 2022 ttsu.me/ihopaprjun
If you would like to make a financial donation, please click here: https://my.e360giving.com/app/Giving/guardianangelschurch
If you, or members of your church, are interested in donating other items, here is a small list of items we need at the shelter right now:
- Toilet bowl cleaner
- Individually wrapped snack chips, granola bars and dessert items for lunch bags
- Snacks for kids (such as animal crackers, Teddy Grahams, or fruit snacks)
- Men’s body wash
- Men’s shaving cream
- Link here for Volunteer Policies for COVID-19
- Link here for a list of items/supplies we are currently seeking donations for
- VCPP PowerPoint
- Combined Checklists
Changes we have implemented include:
- Open 24/7 to families (an additional 6 hours per day)
- Overnight staffing
- Changes to our space and how we serve meals to meet physical distancing needs
- Additional staffing while we re-engage volunteers
Please donate here anytime: https://my.e360giving.com/mobi/?uid=guar8260290.
Checks can be mailed to:
Hope for the Journey Home
8260 4th Street N.
Oakdale, MN 55128