Upcoming Events Schedule
- Thu. 20 Jun, 2013 (8:00 am)
- Fri. 21 Jun, 2013 (12:00 pm)
- Sat. 22 Jun, 2013 (5:00 pm)
- Last Updated on Thursday, 15 November 2012 16:47
What is JustFaith?
JustFaith is a conversion-based process that seeks to provide a context in which participants can grow in their commitment to care for the vulnerable and to become advocates for justice. JustFaith is an extended justice education process that meets weekly employing books, videos, guest speakers, discussion, prayer, retreats and hands-on experiences. Participants are also afforded the privilege of becoming community with other participants and sharing a journey of faith and compassion that is both life-giving and challenging.
How long is JustFaith?
JustFaith includes 30 weekly sessions, two weekend retreats and four hands-on or immersion experiences called “border crossings.” It starts the second week in September and ends in early-May. It meets at weekly, except during holiday breaks. There is opportunity to makeup missed sessions. It is realized that most people will not make every session, especially those that take winter vacations.
No JustFaith group is scheduled for 2010-2011. If you would like to organize a JustFaith group, please contact Gary Gullikson, 651-430-0743. Gary is the JustFaith Coordinator.
What organizations are affiliated with JustFaith?
JustFaith works in partnership with the Catholic Campaign for Human Development, Catholic Charities USA, and Catholic Relief Services.
Is there a cost to participating in JustFaith?
There is a registration fee of $40 that includes free loan of all books, valued close to $200. You will have the option to purchase them at a discount. Videos and other materials are furnished by the parish.
Are there any pre-requisites to take JustFaith?
No, you do not need either experience or training in social justice. This is intended as an adult faith formation program focused on social justice. It will be a valuable experience for those new to Catholic Social Teachings as well as the seasoned justice advocate.
What books will be read and discussed in JustFaith?
Last year these books were read. There may be a few changes for this year.
- Amazing Grace, the lives of children and the conscience of a nation, by Jonathan Kozol
- Compassion, a reflection on the Christian Life by Henri M. Nouwen et al
- Cloud of Witnesses edited by Jim Wallis and Joyce Hollday
- The Challenge and Spirituality of Catholic Social Teaching by Marvin Krier Mich
- Rising to Common Ground, Overcoming America’s Color Lines by Danny Duncan Collum
- Dispossessed, life in our world’s urban slums by Mark Kramer
- Unexpected News, reading the Bible with Third World Eyes by Robert McAfee Brown
- How Much is Enough, hungering for God in an affluent culture by Arthur Simon
- Solidarity Will Transform the World by Jeffry Odell Korgen
- Credible Signs of Christ Alive, case studies from the Catholic Campaign for Human Development by John P. Hogan
- The Powers That Be, theology for a new millennium by Walter Wink
- Gandhi the Man, the story of his transformation by Eknath Easwaran
For more information:
Contact Cheryl Peterson. Follow this link to our store to register for JustFaith. You are also invited to join our JustFaith Community Group to get up-to-date information, stay connected and support one another.